May 05, 2012


These stories I just read in Jan Tritten's FB page seem so important, I just wanted to share them




Tell us a story where you were able to resolve a tough situation in a birth with creative, outside the box thinking.
 ·  ·  · 11 hours ago · 
  • 4 people like this.
    • Debby Sapp I felt a hand up by the baby's head and lightly pinched it. Baby moved hand; mom was in less pain; and baby was born soon. Another time, I felt a foot and tickled it. Baby moved the foot up!
      11 hours ago via mobile ·  ·  14
    • Amy Willen Mom's cervix had swollen in transition and was not opening any more - she was exhausted. We filled a sterile glove with crushed ice and used it as an cervical ice pack (!). Swelling disappeared, as did the rest of the cerivx, mom felt energized by the change in plans and soon began bearing down.
      11 hours ago ·  ·  11
    • Billie Ferrell Harrigan Mom was stuck at 9cm and her cervix was swelling hugely. The midwife agreed to wait for another 20 minutes before the OB was called for a consult, and I gave mom homeopathic gelsemium.Shortly after, all the swelling was gone and she was pushing out her fully posterior 10lb baby.
      10 hours ago ·  ·  7
    • Patricia Couch This question just made me lol. :)
      10 hours ago via mobile ·  ·  1
    • Steph Landis Bernholz While supporting a stillbirth induction, turned c-section @ a hospital where Doulas aren't allowed in the OR, I followed the anesthesiologist out of the labor room and told him how important it was to the family that they have support during the surgery. We had already been told, "no", by the ob. I told him that if he had any authority over the decision, it would make such a huge impact on all of our lives. He came back w/ scrubs for Lexi & me:-) We were able to photograph and help clean up baby & care for her till Mom & Dad were ready to receive her. Such a blessing!
      9 hours ago via mobile ·  ·  3
    • Tessa Neilson As a doula/TCM, I walked into a home birth where the midwife had called me because she had 'failed to progress'. The midwife told me how she'd be in labour 20 hrs and was only 4cms and what could I do. I told her a couple ear points and within an hour she should be good to go. I could tell she didn't believe me. She was stressed!! I spoke calmly and with assurance to the Mama Supreme. I told her how her body had the innate knowledge to do what's best. And then I told her that her contractions or 'birth sensations' were about to get a whole lotta strong, but that is a GOOD sign and to go with it. I made everyone stop chatting. No more noises to allow her to concentrate and connect and open up to what was going on inside. And then I connected and meditated on the same. Baby born 20min later. Check:)
      9 hours ago via mobile ·  ·  6
    • Tessa Neilson PS midwife told me she was ready to transfer. Sometimes you gotta gound out the stress in the room. Feel the fear and push it through yourself. And then everyone else follows suit and chills out. Haha. Birth is about allowing what is natural. Grounding energy. Do it yourself first.
      9 hours ago via mobile ·  ·  1
    • Beth Bailey Barbeau Labor for first baby had been moving along briskly, expected birth within the hour as grunting began. Progress slowed dramatically as pushing became more intense and then is just got more and more muddled. Pretty much every thing tried over next 6 hours. Finally asked sister if just passed over grandmother was a worrier ("YES!") and would she hold on to the baby ("YES!"). Asked permission to talk to her mom, respectfully asked Grandma to release the baby, and to end her daughter's suffering by trusting her work. Then sister asked in their native language. We were interrupted at this point by the doula calling from the bathroom - baby suddenly coming!
      5 hours ago ·  ·  1
    • Benson Milimo While conducting a birth in a rural nursing home, baby born with mucus unable to breath, ambubag absent. I put a gauze over the babys mouth and used mouth to mouth lung ventilation. Baby improved.
      49 minutes ago · 

No comments: